Tuesday, February 2, 2010

When Life Gives You Canned Salmon, Make Croquettes



So, I'm not sure that I can consider this a "new food venture" since I have made broiled crab cakes in a very similar fashion. Due to this discrepancy, I am posting this blog entry on a Tuesday rather than my Sunday "new food" ritual. I have never actually used packaged salmon, so I was quite surprised by the bold flavor. Upon first glance it looked exactly like tuna but had a distinct salmon taste and smell! YUM I LOVE SALMON! I'm glad I was able to give this stuff a try.

Today was one of those days where I got back late and had little patients to cook anything elaborate, but the thought of yet another soup and sandwich combo dinner made me cringe. I was also starving, so whatever I made had to be snappy. I took out some veggies from the fridge, dove into my condiments door, cracked open the spice cabinet and.... voila! Salmon Croquettes! It took about twenty (hardly) minutes to create and was exactly what I needed. The croquettes get slightly crunchy on the outside but have a smooth interior reminiscent of baked salmon. The spices gave it a bit of heat (I like it hot so added more, but if you follow my recipe do it to your preference), and the salad of mixed greens, tomatoes, cucumbers, alfalfa sprouts and guacamole provided the perfect contrast, cooling it right down. Also, I really enjoyed the texture of the croquettes with the buttery guacamole. It was the perfect condiment for my simple dish.

My wine pairing was a 2007 Clos Du Bois Chardonnay. Crisp, full flavored and went well with the spice. Can you tell I am extremely happy after consuming this meal?! I had a dessert of frozen berries, chocolate pudding, ice cream and whipped cream (random assortment, I'm aware), so I am doubly elated as I write this!! Who ever said that cooking for one couldn't be fun?

Live Life, Eat Right!

Nora

1 comment:

  1. You didn't have patients to cook? I'm glad you chose salmon!!!

    ReplyDelete