Thursday, December 10, 2009

I'm Cheating on Finger Lakes Wines!

With all of the herbaceous, highly seasoned, salty foods that I have been eating this winter, I have formed a soft spot in my heart for the 2008 Simi Valley Chardonnay. It is extremely buttery and provides a sweetness reminiscent of apples, pears and citrus. A lot of herb roasted turkeys (think Thanksgiving!), chickens, pork, even root vegetables are paired with dressings of orange zest, sauteed apples etc to contrast the savory flavors without overwhelming them. It comes as no surprise that this wine would accompany the food of the season. It is aged for 6 months in 25% new oak, and the flavor difference from the unoaked Finger Lakes Chardonnays that I am accustomed to, is enormous. I enjoy unokaed Chardonnay with grilled foods and fish in the summer, however; the slow cooked, braised, brined, baked, broiled, roasted foods of the winter need something a bit less crisp, and more luscious like the Simi Valley Chardonnay. So the next time you...lets say...herb roast a chicken, butternut squash and brussel sprouts, think Simi.


Cheers,
Nora

No comments:

Post a Comment