Thursday, August 6, 2009

Is your sandwich sad?

I gave breakfast a shout out yesterday so now I think it is time to talk lunch. In an effort to save money, more and more people are now packing lunches in their eco-friendly lunch bags (go green!) instead of ordering out of the office or buying from the cafeteria. I work in a grocery store with many ready made meals available, yet most workers opt to bring lunch. If you aren't nuking leftovers from last nights dinner (ew...leftovers...that's a blog for another time) then chances are your lunch consists of some sort of sandwich. Having the same thing for lunch every day is a bore and as I have said before, what you eat can alter your mood, so why not get creative and mix it up a bit? To beat lunch time blues I always use different flavors and textures. As soon as I run out of one style of bread I buy another that I haven't had before. I use different vegetables and a variety of spreads. Why not use the hummus you bought as a dip as a sandwich spread? Layer some red peppers, spinach, even last night's roasted eggplant and sprinkle with feta cheese. Have a sweet tooth? Buy spreadable cheeses like goat cheese or cream cheese, have different styles of jams and preserves on hand, and layer things like sliced fruits, turkey, ham, spinach and sliced almonds on top.

My Favorite Creation: 2 slices pecan raisin sourdough bread, goat cheese, strawberry/apricot preserves (sliced strawberries also optional), fresh torn basil leaves, cucumber and smoked turkey breast. (I like to toast the bread and spread goat cheese on both slices of bread, top with preserves, basil, cucumber and then turkey breast)

Punch Lifeless Lunch Goodbye,
Nora

No comments:

Post a Comment