Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Absense Makes My Heart Grow Fonder...For a Finger Lakes Red.

I have been away from my blog for a few days, but have not been idle with my time. In my absence, I earned a certification in the art of pan searing, made another trip along the Seneca Wine Trail, and attended a lecture regarding the anti-aging benefits of red wine at the New York Wine and Culinary Center. Speaking of red wine and the Seneca Wine Trail, Hermann J. Wiemer has amazed me once again (be still my heart).

My newest heart throb: Cabernet Franc Reserve 2007. This wine is the definition of elegance. Upon first glance, the deep ruby color borders a shade of black, and is absolutely stunning. It is a wine that looks like it is meant for royalty. The aroma is sweet, and has distinct plum and berry characteristics. You expect a berry flavoring to coat your mouth as you take in the first sip but your taste buds are in for a pleasant surprise. The initial impression is the sweet and slightly tart sensation that you anticipate from the berries but is quickly overpowered by a subtle smokey flavor. Just when you except a dry finish, the berry flavors reemerge, exciting and pleasing your taste buds. It is a well rounded, luxurious wine.

This wine would pair nicely with a rich chocolate dessert, but my dish of choice was dinner: Sliced Grilled Sirloin over (my version of** see below**) Greek Salad. To me, red wine and red meat are a match made in heaven, so a medium rare sirloin steak was my first choice for this meal. I thought the sweetness of the berry characteristic would play nicely with the saltiness of the feta cheese and olives and the acidity of the tomatoes and lemon in the vinaigrette would balance the smokey undertones. The wine complemented the meal (and vice versa) and I have fallen for another Finger Lakes red. Good thing there are health benefits to drinking red wine and having a Mediterranean diet.

Live Well and Enjoy,
Nora

**My version of Greek Salad: 2 cups mixed salad greens, sliced cucumber, sliced tomatoes, Kalamata olives, Greek Feta (crumbled), 1/4 cup chick peas, 1 TBS roasted sunflower seeds, grilled and chopped red pepper, and 2 TBS store bought "Greek Feta Yogurt" dressing.

2 comments:

  1. YUM!!!! I'll be trying that recipe. Have you tried the new winery in Skaneateles (Annyela's or something close to that spelling)? Just heard some good things about it over the weekend....thought about giving it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a substantial dinner salad but feels refreshing and is easy to make! I haven't tried Anyela's but I really want to visit. I looked at their website, http://www.anyelasvineyards.com/ and they are fairly new; planted in 2001. I am excited to try their wines, thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete